Pancha meaning 5, Maha meaning big, Bhuta meaning elements.
So Panchamahabhuta is the five big elements of the universe that we can see and feel. These elements are the structural entity of the universe. According to Ayurveda everything in life is composed of the Panchamahabhutas – Akash (Space), Vayu (Air), Jal (Water), Agni (Fire) andPrithvi (Earth). Omnipresent, they are mixed in an infinite variety of relative proportions such that each form of matter is distinctly unique
Humans are the perfect example of the universe because we are the microcosm of the universe and made of the very elements from which the entire universe is made from and these elements are referred to as “Panchamahabhutas” … translated as “The 5 Great Elements“.
- – ether provides spaciousness which ‘allows’ for movement
- – air provides the driving force behind all movement
- – fire represents and symbolizes transformation and illumination
- – water is lubricating, provides moisture and is cooling
- – earth provides structure, form and stability