What is YOGA? : Introduction & Objective
The word ‘Yoga’ is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Yuj’, meaning ‘to join’ or ‘to unite’. Yoga is a spiritual discipline, which focuses on bringing harmony between mind and body. Yoga is a way of life. According to Ancient Indian Scriptures the practice of Yoga leads to the union of individual consciousness with that of the Universal Consciousness, indicating a perfect harmony between the mind and body, Man & Universe. Yoga Darshan or Yogic philosophy also happens to be a valid discipline of Indian metaphysics (Brahma Vidya). It is the result of human wisdom, and insight of physiology, psychology, ethics and spirituality collected together and practiced over thousands of years for the well being of humanity. The basic idea of yoga is to unite the atman or individual soul with paramatman or supreme soul.
According to modern scientists, everything in the universe is just a manifestation of the same quantum firmament. One who experiences this oneness of existence is said to be in yoga, and is termed as a yogi, having attained to a state of freedom referred to as mukti, nirvana or moksha.
Thus the aim of Yoga is Self-realization, realization of one supreme essence in everything and everybody, to overcome all sufferings leading to ‘the state of liberation’ (Moksha) or ‘freedom’ (Kaivalya). Living with freedom, self-realization, health and harmony are the main objectives of Yoga.
Physical benefits of yoga
- Yoga increases flexibility
- Yoga helps in Injury protection
- Practising Yoga increases muscle strength and tone
- Yoga improves cardio and circulatory health
- Yoga help in improving overall athletic performance
Mental benefits of yoga
Many people consider yoga a spiritual practice. Few other use it as a way to clear their mind. If you’re looking to relieve stress, the mental benefits of yoga alone may be enough to get your practice started. Some of the mental perks include:
- Yoga helps in sharpening your focus
- Yoga helps with anxiety and depression relief
- Yoga introduces Positivity
- Yoga gives a sense of peace
- Yoga helps in quick relaxation of the mind
- Yoga boosts memory and improves concentration.